Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Mother's Day

Mother's Day this year wasn't the best Mother's Day I've ever had - but I have to document how my sweet Angel tried to make it special for me! :)

Someone asked the Mr. to switch shifts - he was scheduled to work Saturday and have Sunday off, but instead he worked Sunday (Mother's Day) for a friend and had Saturday off.  I felt a bit grumpy about that arrangement, as Sundays are already difficult (getting all my not-morning-people children and self up, fed, dressed, and out the door to church by 8am to run off the programs before church - and then wrangling a very rowdy children's class for 2 hours at church), and I thought that, Mother's Day of all days, I would at least like a little bit of help.  So I didn't have the best attitude.

But, my sweet Angel tried to make it up to me.  She reheated some leftover crepes and brought me breakfast in bed, all by herself!  So thoughtful! :)

Church, etc was stressful and I returned home, praying the kids would behave while I made dinner and talked to my mom on the phone.  Of course, since talking on the phone with anyone for longer than 30 seconds doesn't work so well with my rowdy bunch, I sent them outside while I chatted.  After a few minutes on the phone, I looked out to see our neighbor asking my kids not to throw rocks over the fence because she was worried they would hit her dogs.  So I quickly hung up the phone, collected the children from outside, and continued my pity party that I couldn't even catch a break for 2 minutes on Mother's Day! :)

Since Grins was the culprit, I immediately made him write a letter of apology to our neighbor, and we took it to her with a plate of cookies.  (She then explained that they hadn't actually been throwing rocks - she had just found a rock in her yard, thought they might have thrown it over in the past, and was letting them know she hoped they would not do it in the future....phew!)    

Once I saw Grins' sweet letter, my heart melted, and helped me have a much-needed attitude adjustment.  I realized that I didn't need any special treatment for Mother's Day; the blessing and privilege it is to be these sweet kids' mother is more wonderful than anything I could ever have hoped for!  Spending all day with these awesome kids of mine was the best Mother's Day ever! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment