Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Close to the Coast 10k

In June, the Mr. actually had a day off to run a race!  Hurray!  It was one of the most family-friendly races we've been to, with lunch, carnival type activities, and even a Kids' race!  We all had a wonderful time!!

Here is the Mr. gearing up for his race.  I had planned to run as well, but unfortunately we had no one to watch our kids, so I sat this one out.  Maybe next time.... :)

Stretching out.  Nothing like a little Wiggles to get you ready to go! :)

On your mark, get set, GO!  And he's off!  (He was the only barefoot runner in the entire race!)

While we waited for him, we enjoyed climbing trees, and the stunning view of the ocean!


We got so caught up in the tree climbing that we missed the Mr. running by!  Oops! :(

Where is he??!!  These guys were great cheerleaders for the other runners, but we were all sorry to have missed the Mr.

Luckily, we saw him just as he did a cartwheel across the finish line!  He made a personal record!!

His poor feet did not fare well - lots of blisters and bruises. :(
\
  The kids were so proud of their daddy!


After the Mr. finished his race, it was the kids' turn!  Here they are, lining up for the Kids Fun Run!

Thumbs Up! We're ready to go!

 On your marks, get set......

GO!  And they're off!

The kids all did an amazing job!  Here is Grins, coming up on the Finish Line!

Angel wasn't far behind him....

Wiggles amazed me!  I started out the race running by her side, and about 30 seconds into it, she said "My legs are tired".  I said "I'm going to go wait at the Finish Line, do you want to come with me, or keep running the whole race?"  She said "I want to keep going!!!" and just kept on running.  I got nervous that she might need some cheering on, so I ran back to the Mr, handed him the camera and told him to wait for the kids at the Finish Line, and then I ran back to run with Wiggles.  But she kept running so fast, that I wasn't able to catch up with her until the very end!!  I couldn't believe she had run the entire thing, and at such a fast pace!  When I came around the bend behind her and saw her running faithfully, I was SO proud and amazed by her!  Nearing the final bend before the Finish Line, she started to slow down.  I shouted "Go Wiggles!  You can do it!"  She briefly turned around, saw me, got a determined look on her face and sped up, full speed ahead, all the way to the Finish Line (that's me in teal, behind her).  What a little firecracker!!

Whew!  Our kids did wonderfully!  They all wanted a shot by the Finish Line.


Next, we had a delicious lunch, followed by some fun carnival games!  (Face painting, bounce house, etc.)  I didn't get many pictures, but I did catch one of this adorable tiger with teal and pink braces! :)



The race was held at one of our all-time favorite places in Maine - Winslow Park in Freeport.  It has a beautiful, scenic view, a sandy beach (where we've seen clams squirting water through the sand!), lots of fields, and a fun playground for the kids.  So, after enjoying lunch and the playground, we decided to head down to the beach for more fun, because it was SUCH a beautiful day (and you just have to take advantage of those sunny summer days in Maine!).

When the tide is out, you can walk to this little dock, but it's quite muddy!  Only the kids felt like braving the mud...

Look at all those hermit crabs on the beach!!!

The mud didn't bother the kids at all - quite the contrary, actually!  They morphed into sea monsters before our eyes!

They accessorized with seaweed hair, and then they couldn't help but do a little 'sea monster dance'.




Yes, we sure had fun cleaning up afterwards! :)  Even after many hours at the park, the children cried when it was time to leave.  Sigh.  You can never really get enough of these beautiful Maine beaches!!



No comments:

Post a Comment