Monday, March 25, 2013

Kids say the Darndest Things

Sometimes my children say things I never want to forget.  And I've learned the hard way that, if I don't promptly write them down, I will certainly forget them.  So, here are a few random things of late:

This evening, some dear friends of ours invited us to their home for a special dinner.  As dessert was being served, Wiggles sat in front of her chocolate cake, waiting patiently as the hostess and I brought plates to everyone else.  The host began eating his dessert and Wiggles demanded (loudly enough for everyone to hear,) "Don't eat yet!"  He asked, "Why not?" to which she replied, "You're supposed to wait until everyone has been served!"  The hostess and I had a good laugh.  I was thrilled that Wiggles had remembered the etiquette we'd taught her about waiting....but a bit embarrassed she'd forgotten the bit about not telling adults what to do. :)  Fortunately, it was well received, and we all had a great laugh!

Wiggles also has a habit of talking - or rather, yelling - in her sleep.  (I must say it runs in the family, as I happen to have the same reputation...)  Since we all sleep in the same room (yes, our children still sleep in our bedroom....), we hear all of her 'conversations' and are pretty familiar with a lot of what she dreams about.  Most often, she'll shout "Don't, (Grins)!!!" or, "Give it back, (Angel)!!!" or something along those lines.  The other night, however, she sat up abruptly and shouted "August twelfth!"  Then, a moment later, "Slide down the slide, Quincey!"  I started laughing and she looked over at me, now awake.  "What were you dreaming about?" I asked.  She replied, "We were all at Kiwanis pool.  Wait - you had the same dream, because you were there.  All of us here had the same dream.  We were all there.  Did you just have that dream too?"  As if dreamland is some sort of altered reality that we are whisked away to in our sleep.  She finally realized that's not the case, once she was fully awake - but it took a moment!

The final 'tidbit' I want to remember is not funny and is much more personal in nature, but goes to show how inquisitive and astute Angel is.  The other evening, Angel and I had "special" time together (each child gets a "special" night each week, when they get to stay up after the others go to bed to enjoy some alone time with the parents (well, usually, just Mommy since Daddy's most often at work or studying).)  This particular night, our conversation developed into the all-important talk about the "Birds and the Bees".  (Some may think she is young, but the timing was well thought out and planned by the Mr. and I for a multitude of reasons.  One of which being that, though she is young, we want her to hear it from us before she learns it elsewhere and, sadly, that is happening sooner than any parents would care to admit.) Anyway, I was prepared for all sorts of responses or questions she might ask, but not the one she did.  She wanted to know if that was how baby Jesus was conceived.  Wow!  Of all the responses I had planned, I certainly hadn't seen that one coming!  :)  She also suddenly divulged to me how she is secretly terrified of someone cloning her, or of someone being able to control her mind externally.  Do we have a budding geneticist or sci-fi author on our hands?  I suppose time will tell.  I guess I will have to brush up on my knowledge of cloning!

2 comments:

  1. Love it all. Especially August 12th. Angel is ahead of her time. Cloning fears are way advanced. What a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable :). I thought I had commented already on this, but I must have been dreaming. I have thought about this excellent idea (nights with the kids) and the environment of love, trust, and understanding you must foster in your home for your children to confide and share with you. What a wonderful example! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete