Sunday, July 7, 2013

Winter Storm Nemo


With the 98 degree temperatures we've been having lately, I thought it might be interesting to look back on winter - to remind myself that, as uncomfortable as the heat may be, I still prefer summer to winter any day!!!  In doing so, I realized I never posted pictures - and I certainly want to preserve these memories, so here we go:

This past February, a winter storm (or "Nor'easter" as they call them here) named "Nemo" came through Maine (and much of New England).  We had a record 32 inches fall within a matter of hours, and the fierce winds made for even deeper snowdrifts.  The Mr. still biked to work in this, if you can imagine that!!  And with him working, I got the joy of trying to clean up the driveway and walk with our snowblower - which proved difficult, since the snow was taller than our large snowblower!  It was actually quite a challenge to even get outside, as the snowdrifts came up several feet on all of our doors!  I ended up having to dig a path out the back door and climb over our fence (normally 7 feet tall, but only about 3 feet tall with all the snow!) to get to the front, since I couldn't open the garage door.

Here's a picture my neighbor took in the middle of the storm.


When the winds calmed down, the children and I ventured out to take a look around, and enjoyed some prime sledding time at a hill near our home!  Here is Grins, standing up!

A view out our front window - it's a miracle those poor bushes survived!

A view out our window (sorry about the screen - I couldn't get out of the house to get a better picture!)  Can you believe there are 2 cars in our driveway?!


The girls standing in the snow - Angel is wearing a helmet because we went sledding/snowboarding.

The view out my bedroom window (first floor of our house).

Here's how the kids spent their snow day: playing 'airplane' with their 'jet packs' on their backs - and parachuting off the couch!  I love their imaginative play!



Here's what the deck looked like...

Fortunately, Grins is my great helper!

2 comments:

  1. Crazy. I have to say, though, I think I still prefer winter, although the older I get, the harder it is on me. Gasp! That sounded like I'm getting old! No way :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrrrr! Thanks for sharing when it is warm outside! That is one crazy snowstorm!

    ReplyDelete