Sunday, July 7, 2013

GG

My grandmother is in the Advanced Stages of Alzheimer's disease.  Sadly, she doesn't know who anyone is - including herself most of the time - and that makes for some challenging conversations and some frustrating difficulties, particularly for my angel Grandfather and Mother who are her primary caregivers!  In this 'new phase' of her mind/life, she is no longer the grandmother I grew up with, and I miss that grandma dearly.  But I love this woman we call "Cleo" (calling her "Grandma" confuses and frustrates her since, in her mind she is about 17 years old - not nearly old enough to be a Grandma!).  She is a sweetheart!  She is always so appreciative of the help others render her, and is constantly telling us "thank you" and expressing her gratitude for all that others do for her.   

She tires easily and kept falling asleep while I was talking with her.

Though I am sad that my children don't get to know my Grandma they way I know her, I am grateful they can meet her, and learn of the incredible life she led, and the profound influence she (and my wonderful grandfather!!) have been in my life!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute. Simply by doing this and taking these pictures you are giving your family so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story about family love. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete