Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Happy Halloween!!


My sweet children love doing Halloween together.  While I love that they do this (it was my family's tradition growing up, too!), I try very hard not to pressure them to do so - but so far, they have chosen to do it every year.  This year, after much deliberation, they decided on Alvin and the Chipmunks.  As you might imagine, it's difficult to find chipmunk costumes at halloween stores....and I don't think anyone makes turtleneck dresses.  So, after searching high and low, I finally concluded I would have to dust off the sewing machine and make them myself!

Of course, novice seamstress that I am, creating a turtleneck dress without a pattern was a bit of a challenge, and they were not perfect - but I had a lot of fun!  I felt a bit guilty about spending so much time 'ignoring' the children while sewing - the Mr. was out of town on a job interview, and I wanted to finish them the week before Halloween so they could wear them to a friend's party...but then they decided they wanted to help, so we worked on them together!

When I accidentally sewed the neck on inside-out, Angel picked the entire seam by herself - which took quite a while!  I was amazed by her determination, focus, and precision!  And, after watching me measure fabric pieces on the children, Wiggles got some paper and scissors and began cutting out her own little 'pattern' and pinning it around her doll.  It was adorable.  And, definitely a team effort!

Their favorite part was singing the "Christmas" song, chipmunk style.

Angel, focused seam-ripper extraordinaire:

Note the mess in the background - I basically just kept putting food and toys out to keep the kids occupied while I sewed.

Wiggles making her 'patterns'.  I'm sad I don't have any pictures of her pinning these on her doll - guess I was too busy sewing. :(

Angel: Simon, Grins: Alvin, Wiggles: Theodore


Here, they have cherry tomatoes in their cheeks, for the full chipmunk-cheek effect! :)

Ready to hit the road, trick-or-treating!  (Angel wants me to note that the girls' hair is styled that way to look like chipmunk ears...)
 Trick-or-treating with friends!


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful costumes! You are so talented, and I loved the creation story making the costumes. I will be a regular on viewing this blog since Opa told me where it was. Love you all! Oma

    ReplyDelete
  2. So amazing! What a seamstress, and what a memory. They are SOOOOOO adorable!! That is a great tradition. Maybe my family can go as the Brady Bunch (complete with nanna and dog...and some neighbor kids?) next year :)

    ReplyDelete